Enhances field (Was: r1771 - projects/med/trunk/debian-med/tasks)

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 03:46:50PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > Enhanced-By: autogrid
> >
> >> +Depends: autodocktools
> >> +Friends: mgltools-dejavu, mgltools-pmv, mgltools-utpackages, mgltools-vision, mgltools-volume
> > Enhanced-By: mgltools-dejavu, mgltools-pmv, mgltools-utpackages, mgltools-vision, mgltools-volume
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> I'll go for it ... good to hear you like it (I was not sure).

As you might have noticed I tried to investigate a bit [1] about the
role of the Enhances field because thinking twice about it the suggested
Enhanced-By field sounds somewhat redundant.  IMHO we could do better if
we consistently maintain the Enhances field where needed and there is no
real need to put this information into a different place.  So I tried to
find out what Enhancement relations we currently have in the Debian Med
tasks.  Here is a raw logfile output after grep-ing 'enhanc':

The following packages are enhancing loki: ['loki-doc']
The following packages are enhancing blast2: ['mcl']
The following packages are enhancing seaview: ['muscle']
The following packages are enhancing t-coffee: ['dialign-tx', 'clustalw', 'mafft', 'kalign', 'poa']
The following packages are enhancing emboss: ['clustalw', 'primer3']
The following packages are enhancing clustalw: ['clustalw-mpi']
The following packages are enhancing gamgi: ['gamgi-doc', 'gamgi-data']
The following packages are enhancing rasmol: ['rasmol-doc']
The following packages are enhancing ncbi-tools-bin: ['mcl']
Unknown key 'Enhanced-By': autogrid in task bio
Unknown key 'Enhanced-By': mgltools-dejavu, mgltools-pmv, mgltools-utpackages, mgltools-vision, mgltools-volume, mgltools-bhtree, mgltools-geomutils, mgltools-opengltk, mgltools-pyglf, mgltools-sff, pdb2pqr in task bio
The following packages are enhancing mustang: ['mustang-testdata']
The following packages are enhancing bioperl: ['exonerate', 'mcl']
The following packages are enhancing bioperl-run: ['clustalw']
The following packages are enhancing mcl: ['zoem']
The following packages are enhancing r-base: ['texmacs']
The following packages are enhancing gnumed-client: ['gnumed-doc']

IMHO it might make perfectly sense to add

  Enhances: autodock

in debian/control of autogrid as well as

  Enhances: autodocktools

to the control information of all the mgltools-* packages.
IMHO this is more consistent and makes sense in general and not only
in the Blends scope while serving the same purpose.

What do you think?

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/08/msg00644.html

Klarmachen zum Ändern!