Re: Reports of successful Squeeze upgrades

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:01, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@gmail.com> [2011-02-24 22:30]:
>> I was thinking about whether to file a bug today. USB devices are
>> generally not permanently attached to the computer, so is it
>> reasonable to expect MODULES=dep to include the drivers specific to
>> detachable hardware? I came to the conclusion that probably it is the
>
> Maybe I misunderstood but I thought your root device was on a USB
> device.  If root is on USB, surely initramfs-tools should make sure
> that the drivers are included.

The root file system isn't on the RAID, but the USB device that
requires ums-cypress was connected to the machine during the
upgrade... so, you make a good point - would MODULES=dep have
installed ums-cypress if the root file system had been on the RAID
device? For lenny, usb-storage was all that was needed, but for
squeeze, ums-cypress is needed so MODULES=dep _should_ have installed
it automatically. However, it looks like this issue was reported and
fixed (see 543568 [1]), so why didn't initramfs-tools do the right
thing? Well, it looks like the initramfs_tools code has been
significantly rewritten since the patch in 543568 was applied, so the
bug may still exist because it looks like the code now only copies usb
storage modules for MODULES=most. I should test it with my other slug
and USB enclosure. I'll install lenny, and then upgrade to squeeze to
see if ums-cypress is installed in the initramfs.

> I'm not sure if there's a way to figure out which ums-* module you
> need but maybe MODULES=dep should put all ums-* modules into the
> ramdisk when root is on USB.

This solution is what the patch in 543568 did.

Gordon

Gordon Farquharson
GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676