Re: Vt8500

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM, jin&hitman&Barracuda
<jinhitman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody...
>
> I have some questions about arm iso images on debian site.
> I have a low price netbook. May be you heard it names.
> it's hardware;
> via vt 8500 - 300 Mhz 32 bit Arm926 type (also include in 250 Mhz DSP) Cpu,
> 128Mbyte ddr2 ram and 7" Lcd Screen
> Android 1.7.2 runs on this hardware. But i want change this OS solution.

 this is becoming a very common type of request - not surprising
because you and everyone else sees "android" and, somewhat reasonably,
assumes that it's possible to put alternate OSes on machines very
easily: unfortunately it's not.

 you should first get hold of the GPL kernel sources (and GPL u-boot
sources) from the retailer, otherwise you are into weeks or months of
reverse-engineering.

 then you can tackle the replacing of the OS with ease.

 if the retailer refuses to comply with the GPL, you should notify
gpl-violations.org and go from there.

 i strongly recommend that you also contact chris dibona from google
if they fail to comply, and make waves on the google android alliance
mailing lists.

l.