Re: cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010, Hector Oron wrote:
>                                        In that case, Debian was clear
> to take it as another architecture, but, nowadays,
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi supports hard, soft and softfp. Bringing old
> discussions up to front, would not make sense to have ABI support in
> the distribution itself (which really is  an overhead) and not in the
> upstream code?

 We need a new port because the binaries are incompatible with each
 others, we need a different triplet because it's a dpkg limitation.
 Perhaps we could change dpkg to not require that anymore, but we'd
 still need a new port.  We also need a different triplet for the
 multiarch use case; I know you're not too interested in multiarch
 yourself anymore, but it's safer to pick a different triplet
 nevertheless IMHO, using the vendor field.

--
Loïc Minier