Re: anyone interested in grouping together to get better pricing than $130 on ARM 7in Netbooks?

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> i have a friend who is buying some ARM 7in netbooks that are rumoured
> to be so all-the-rage, we're kinda fed up with all the hype and want
> to see if these manufacturers actually deliver.  so i'm making the
> [...]

 *sigh*.  well, we have some good news and some bad news.  from adam,
here is the bad news:

The 7000E is out of stock according to the production manager!

(in other words, they have the designs, but they don't really want to
make it, probably because they priced it wrong...)

but again, from adam, here is the good news:

CT-PC89E,8.9 inch laptop computer, sample with Operation system:Linux
2.6.24, RAM DDR1 256M,HDD 2 GB NAND Flash(SLC),WIFI,Build-in stereo
speaker,USB Port 2.0 *3.0

Screen resloution as confirmed is 1024 x 600

Picture to prove this model actually exists ...
http://lkcl.net/arm_systems/gG%20013.jpg

and... i have to say... isn't that a webcam at the top??  dang, these
chinese factories are funny: they _just_ can't write good clear specs
in english _at_ all :)

so, many apologies to everyone whom we contacted and who said "yes" we
would like one of the 7in systems @ $130, but instead would you like
to group together to get an 8.9in samsung 667mhz ARM 1024x600 netbook
instead @ $136.40  (+tax/shipping)?

i'm _definitely_ getting two of these (one for you frans!) because i
have been waiting literally years for a low-cost ARM netbook with this
kind of spec.

anyone else who would like one before chinese new year (7th feb) adam
is off across the border with a bundle of RMB stuffed down his
trousers on friday 5th, so we need to get moving (he'll almost
certainly be back there again but not quite so soon - maybe a couple
of months).

for the 7in we had 9 other people: 1 AU, 1 BE, 1 NL, 6 UK.  the AU
shipping cost is dirt cheap (lucky you).  7kg to the UK using HK EPS
is about £60 (works out at about £10 ea) and these will be marked as
"engineering samples" because, well, damnit, you're engineers, and
you're helping "engineer" debian/linux onto these things!  with a
chinese version of gOS they're pretty useless to us! :)

there are other cheaper options for delivery but not right now: take
too long / need investigation / use contacts etc. etc.

so, sorry to be asking everyone again, but is the extra $6.40 ok, is a
better 1024x600 9in LCD screen ok, same CPU, same memory, and is
general vagueness of chinese factories and poor enlish an acceptable
risk you'd like to take, with me drilling adam on what to look out
for? (he's going to call me on skype when he's at the factory, take a
webcam, point it at the machines for me etc. etc.)

l.