Re: Task list for Debian on the QNAP Turbostation

Hi all

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:45:08AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> This is a status update regarding QNAP TS-109/TS-209 support:
>
> >  - Set the MAC address: the QNAP devices have a bogus MAC address
> >    in the u-boot config and the real MAC address is stored in a
>
> Lennert Buytenhek wrote a patch to set the MAC address in the kernel
> but it's not clear yet whether this will be accepted.  If not, this
> one will be fairly hard to resolve.

It's possible to change the uboot params by flashing mtd4 with an image
of saved params, wich will then contain the MAC address setting.
This brings two points:
 * It does not solve the problem of the MAC address for the debian
   installer itself
 * I don't know how to create a valid list of params for uboot (tough
   looking at uboot code should show the way.)

But then, this will allow to start linux without use of a initramfs
(which is what I do)

I heard of something to create random MAC address from inside the
kernel, is it what does the patch you mentionned ?

> >  - Get persistent disk naming: well known issue without solution. :(
>
> No change.

I do not understand the problem in here (though I'm not very friendly
with the debian installer). can you tell me more about this ?

> >  - Figure out a good way to install Debian without having to install
> >    the QNAP firmware first.  I have some ideas, and Frans found that
> >    telnet is enabled when the firmware is not installed; so this
> >    would give us a way in.  I will try to take a look unless someone
> >    else volunteers.
>
> No change, but using telnet (as Frans suggested) should be doable.
> Also, Nathaël Pajani might port QNAP's Finder but I'm not sure of the
> status.

I keep sending mails to Andy Chuo and Meiji Chang from QNAP, but no
reply yet... tried PM on QNAP forum today.

> >  - Create a web site: I'm (slowly) working on this.
>
> No progress, but I will concentrate on this now.

I updated some info on the QNAP forum with my own progress and created
the Debian page on QNAP Wiki:
http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/index.php/OS_Distro_/_Kernel_Module:Debian_GNU/Linux

> --
> Martin Michlmayr
> http://www.cyrius.com/

One question then :
Is there a place where one can find snapshots of the ongoing developement ?
or anything alike ?

thanks. have fun
+++

--