Re: Two questions about installing Debian on a Thecus 2100 (-a-like)

John Winters wrote:
Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2007-12-13 16:43]:
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/armel/images/daily/iop32x/netboot/n2100.bin
disc OK, but then partman exits part way through starting up. It gets as far as 58% in its startup progress bar and just exits.
[snip]
Anyway, assuming you upgraded RedBoot before trying to install Debian,
you can use the instructions from
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/n2100/telnet.html to load the
installer image of Debian stable (etch) of arm.

I did - or at least I upgraded the Thecus firmware to 2.1.05 which I believe does that job.

Thank you for your very complete replies. I believe what I need to do now is:

1) Unpack the Thecus firmware (done that)
2) Interrupt redboot with telnet

More replying to myself I'm afraid.  I've got stuck trying to do step 2.

The instructions for interrupting redboot say to use:

arping -f 192.168.1.100 && telnet 192.168.1.100 9000

Unfortunately the current version of arping (2.06) doesn't understand a "-f" option and I can't find one which does - I presume it would tell arping to exit after receiving one reply. It doesn't seem to be possible to emulate it either.

Is there another way of getting into the telnet session? I've tried doing it manually but the window of opportunity seems to be exceedingly short.

John