Re: home project

Mikael Larsson wrote:
hi there!

I am not sure if this is the right place for this... but I'll give it a try...

the thing is I got myself a little portable game console called gp2x... it contains a strongarm 266mhz 64meg ram 64 meg nand flash for op system and 2gig sd memory, and a realy realy light version of linux... It also got an usb port which it is possible to mount harddrives etc on...

Hmm being quite new to developing under linux and esp for anything not x86, I was wondering... if the machine got a working linux running at the moment? do you people think it would be possible to install a more complete version of say debian on it? It might sound strange, but my gold is to have this little handheld as a mail server and file server... but considering this built in linux it wont do... no make no build commands :(

ok this is tad confused sorry if I made no sense and spammed ya folks :)

Did you open this device?

Perhaps the easiest way to get something useful on this device (i.e. debian) would be to open the device, and find the serial console, if it has any.

Where the current operating system is: on 64 meg flash, or on 2 GB SD card?

Does it have a network card? How did you connect to the Linux that's on this device right now? Do you have a "chroot" command on this device?

Does the device work in big-endian or in little-endian mode?
What kernel does it have?

There are many questions, perhaps you will find most answers to it on http://openwrt.org (and figure out how to get debian on it thanks to it, too).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski