XFree86 4 on RiscPC

Is there a good way to get XFree86 4.0.2-13 working on a RiscPC.
After correcting the generated config file to /dev/sunmouse and "BusMouse"
protocol (grr. did I do something stupid or doesn't the config gizmo give
me those options?) I tried running X but after flicking to the new virtual
terminal and changing the resolution (monitor goes clunk, so I know it's
got this right) it drops straight back and exits with the error

xf86EnableIOPorts: Failed to set IOPL for I/O

what does this mean? Did I get something else wrong in the Y/N questions
for the config?

[There is no crisis here, as I have working X 3.3.6 on my other root
partition, so I am not without windowing]

Nicholas Clark