Versioned glibc progress
I've finally managed to get the base system bootstrapped over to a
versioned glibc. I must have spent 40+ hours this week try to get it
moved over. I used the method Philip suggested - I changed the soname
on glibc. In effect, I had to bootstrap it twice - once to the fake
"libc7", and once again to the versioned libc6.
It's not quite bootable yet - I'm using it in a chroot. I need to
recompile a few more packages. I also want to install the 2.2.x
kernel, and use those headers to build the glibc packages.
Debian is pretty tricky to bootstrap - I still need to build xfree86,
tetex, and jade to get an environment where most of the packages will
build properly. Most of the ones I've made during the bootstrapping
are crippled (ie. I commented out the info/sgml stuff, etc) - so we'll
have to rebuild them all again.
I'll try to make a bootable image in the next few days, and I'll
upload the versioned .debs I made to my ftp site as soon as I'm happy
When I do that, we should move the unversioned debs off of
master.debian.org, and start rebuilding everything to use the new
Because of the newer glibc (and kernel), quite a few things have
changed over the past 6 months. Many of the packages that we
currently have compiled for ARM will need additional NMUs. We're
going to the first port to rebuild many of the core packages with the
newest glibc - there are few things that need patching.
I'd also like to convert Alan DeKok's NetWinder to use the new stuff.
It would make a good build daemon and wanna-build host. There was
also talk of getting a NetWinder to be owned by the Debian project -
I'm not sure what became of that.
The new .deb packages and image are targetted for the armv3
instruction set (the egcs default). So theoretically, the userspace
should run on the Acorn (ARM6, ARM7, and StrongARM RiscPCs), and the
Psion 5. It would be cool if somebody would test those (and maybe
even contribute the appropriate kernel images).