novice guidance request (Debian apache compiling rewrite,ssl,php basics)

Hello out there,

Could someone please refer me to a place where I can get some guidance
on the following request specifically? Thanks.

"
I am teaching myself to install that
"SimpleURL" mod_rewrite feature for PostNuke (CMS)... on the
Web: mtrad.com .

... I need some help installing Apache. Since the mod_rewrite isn't a
module compiled and used by my Debian Apache 1.3 installation,
uncommenting the "httpd.conf" comments doesn't allow Apache to start any
more - and I am unable to compile the Apache 2 past 'make' without
getting an error.

...Thanks...
"

RSVP,