Debian News

DEBIAN NEWS

In this issue:

1. Leadership Changes for the Debian Project
2. Send Money!
3. Please Re-Subscribe to Mailing Lists

*** Leadership Changes for the Debian Project ***

A while back it became clear that project leadership was becoming too
big a job for me to handle if I wanted to make any progress on other
projects and to have adequate time for my family and my job at Pixar. I
initiated the election of a board of directors for the Debian project.
The board is now developing a constitution. In addition, I recently
decided to delegate all of my day-to-day responsibility, creating two new
offices:

	Daniel Quinlan becomes our Senior Vice President. He takes on all
	day-to-day administrative responsibility for the project.

	Brian C. White becomes Vice President of Engineering. He takes on
	the engineering leadership for the distribution.

These two positions report to me, and I report to the board of directors.
As President, I will be concentrating on some major policy decisions and
on the relationship of the project with other organizations.

*** Send Money! ***

Debian's non-profit organization, "Software in the Public Interest", is
incorporating. That will give us a way to protect our developers from
lawsuits, and a way for Debian to accept grants and donations, etc.
Incorporation costs money to do. We also have other legal expenses in
filing for trademarks, etc. And we'd like to be able to send
representatives to major trade shows, and perhaps to operate a trade
show booth showing off Debian. There are also petty cash expenses like
postage and copying for press releases, net domain fees, post office
box fees, etc. Until recently, I paid for most of this out of my
pocket, but the project is getting too big for that.

We are soliciting donations of any amount. The first thing we'll do with
the money is complete our incorporation and get a bank account for the
corporation. Our attorney is operating an escrow fund for us so that we
can take donations during our incorporation. Donations are _not_
tax-deductable at this time.

Please make checks (no cash, please) out to:

	Software in the Public Interest, Frank J. Marotta as attorney
	(abbreviating that to SPI is fine)

Please send them to:
	Software in the Public Interest
	PO Box 671
	Ridge, NY 11961

This post office box is being operated by our Treasurer, Tim Saler
<sailer@bnl.gov>, <tps@buoy.com>, who is also the project's liason
with our attorney. Tim will be able to report on the status and
disposition of your donations.

*** Please Re-Subscribe to Mailing Lists ***

Unfortunately, we lost some of our mailing list data (mea culpa).
If you have stopped getting any of the Debian mailing lists, please
send the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) to
list-name-REQUEST@lists.debian.org, where list-name is the name of the
list you wish to subscribe to. So, you'd be sending "subscribe" to one
or more of the following addresses. You can also send them "unsubscribe"
if you want to stop getting mail:

	debian-68k-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-alpha-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-announce-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-changes-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-devel-announce-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-devel-changes-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-devel-digest-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-french-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-i18n-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-publicity-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-sparc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
	debian-user-digest-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

	Thanks!

	Bruce Perens
	Software in the Public Interest (Debian)
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.