Re: AMD 64 X2

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 06:28:52PM +0200, storm66@club-internet.fr wrote:
> I want to buy a new system with an AMD64 X2, as I want to try
> virtualization I need to know what kind of processor contains
> the "Pacifica" (now AMD-V) set of instructions.
> Does anybody have any information about that as the documents
> I have found are not crystal clear.

Any revision F or G series has Pacifica.  That would be Windsor and
Brisbane cores.

Unfortunately you can't say 'Athlon 64 X2 3800+ has pacifica and 3700+
does not'.  Identical spec'ed models exist for many revisions.  I guess
you should be able to tell from the packaging what revision the chip is
somehow.

It appears though that none of the mobile X2's have Pacifica, which I
find somewhat surprising.

Now at the same time, I would be very surprised if any computer store
still has any revision E or older chips in stock anymore, so most likely
it isn't really a problem, but you still want to make sure.

So much simpler with the Core 2 chips.  Their model numbers actually
change when the features change it would seem.