Ideas why dvd playback is jerky?

Is this an issue with the amd64 arch, or something else?  I have an AMD
5600+ cpu paired with an Nvidia 7600 GS card, which strikes me as more
than adequate to work with a DVD (my older XP 2500+ had no problems...).

The video is literally jerky, and poorly sync'd with the audio.  It
doesn't seem to matter what player I use.

I have done nothing with card settings, but do have the latest driver in
place.  Relavent parts of my xorg.conf:

-----
Section "Module"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
#       Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
-----

Is there other info I could provide?

Anyone have thoughts which might help?  Should I install a 32 bit system
on this machine for these things?

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,