Re: confused about performance

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 07:53:44AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> sounds like a sane thing to do then is to run a amd64 kernel and build your
> apps in 32 bit mode.  They get the advantage of 32 over 64, but you get the
> advantage of having lots more of them running in your 64 bit kernel ?

Well I run a 64bit machine with a 64bit kernel with 32bit user space,
and a 64bit chroot.  The choice of that setup was because the target of
the development runs 32bit x86 code only and 64bit is just to play with.

I also haven't seen any 32bit program that is actually faster than 64bit
that I have tried lately, so perhaps it is actually 32bit programs that
are the exception for good performance rather than the rule.  Keep a
32bit chroot for those few programs where 32bit still somehow has better
performance, but use 64bit for most things since it seems to be
generally the fastest.