Problems booting from SATA in a HP DC5750 (ATI SB600 ?)

Dear Srs,

I've just suceeded performing the base install from an etch snapshot CD1,
in a HP DC5750, which uses an ATI SB600 to provide SATA.
I had to choose "Native IDE" in the bios settings do install properly
(other options are "Legacy IDE" and "SATA" - not the case, I have only
one HD).

The install went well - no glitch, and grub was put on MBR, as usual.

However, during boot, the machine reports a lot of errors:

*****
ata2: SATA Link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata2.00: Configured for UDMA/100
ata2: EH Complete
ata2.00 exception Emask 0x40 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x800 action 0x2
ata2.00 (irq_stat 0x40000001)
ata2.00 tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x40 stat 0x51 err 0x20 (internal error)
softresetting port
*****

The pattern above is repeated 20 or so times, then boot proceeds and succeeds!!!
Once up, the box runs ok, as far as I could evaluate.

I've been googling around but could not find anything useful so far.

Has anyone seen something like this? Any hints?
Thank you in advance,

Joao