Re: dosemu or dosbox

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 07:42:46PM +1000, Alexander Samad wrote:
I have need to run a text only dos application on my debian box, does
dosemu not exist on amd64 ?  But I found dosbox - any one use this
successfully

Its a old pabx configuration program 8)

dosemu uses native cpu, so it probably can't be run as amd64 (since dos
isn't amd64).
Neither is protected-mode Linux (32-bits and all), but that doesn't have anything to do with it. dosemu used the virtual-8088 mode of IA-32 processors, which is removed in x86-64 (long mode) operation.

That means if you're running a 64-bit kernel, you will never be able to run dosemu or any other application that relies on virtual-8088 mode.

This is why the DOS emulation is removed in 64-bit versions of Windows: because the hardware no longer supports it.

Adam