Re: quake4 on debian amd64

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 09:40 -0600, Michael Langley wrote:
> It literally takes me 2 to 3 minutes
>  to have everything setup and ready with the installers from
>  nvidia.com.

2-3 minutes will become 2-3 hours when you need to remove all the cruft
that was put in non-standard locations by your DIY installation.

> I would much rather do it that way and know everything
>  works, and why everything works, than depend on a package.

In that case, why are you using Debian? It sounds like you'd be better
suited to a source based distribution like Gentoo, or Linux From
Scratch.

If you're looking for an insight into "why everything works" on Debian,
make use of apt-get source and dpkg-buildpkg.

Also, the line wrapping on your MUA needs fixing; replying is difficult
when the entire body of the message is on one line.

Best regards,

--
Adam James <ad@heliosphan.co.uk>

PROOF OF GOD'S EXISTENCE #97:
ARGUMENT FROM DESIGN (I), aka PALEY'S ARGUMENT, aka TELEOLOGICAL
ARGUMENT (III)
(1) If there is a designer, then God must exist.
(2) If I find a watch in a forest, there must be a designer.
(3) [Throws watch into forest.]
(4) Therefore, God exists.