Re: remove unwanted modules

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:22:00AM -0500, Mike Dobbs wrote:
> to not add eth1394 I added this line into /etc/modprobe.conf :
> install eth1394 /bin/true

If you create /etc/modprobe.conf you disable the use of /etc/modprobe.d
which is what debian uses.  This is not a good idea.

Make your changes in a new file under /etc/modprobe.d instead.

Also the common way that I know of ti disable someting is to either
blacklist it from discover/hotplug (so you can still load it manually if
you want to), or do 'alias eth1394 off' in a modprobe.d/ file.