Re: Mirror list

On 30 Oct 2005, lordSauron wrote:
> Cool.

        The initial rsync is done.  I'm pulling from
debian.csail.mit.edu currently twice a day.  I'll set up to be a
push server as soon as our networking group opens 22/tcp through
the campus firewall.  The URL is:
---
http://mirror.tamu.edu/debian-amd64/

> > down/768Kbps up cable connection at home.  I think we currently
> > pay around $120,000USD for the OC-12 at work.
>
> A month or a year?  That's an insane connection rate.. you've probably
> got a fibre LAN going in the building, right?  Otherwise you'd be
> somewhat disabled by anything less than gigabit ethernet.  They'll let
> you host that at your workplace though...

        That is per year.  We have several pieces of fiber from
our campus to Verizon (local phone provider).  OC circuits use a
different frame type separate from ethernet (see SONET/SDH
information at Wikipedia if you want more information).  We have
a lot more than just data running across the fiber to the telco.

> Yes, Texas would be in my neck of the woods (I'm in California, so not
> *that* close, but closer than all the many German mirrors).

        I'm not sure if you were aware of debian.csail.mit.edu
previously, but it should have been faster than the European
mirrors for you.  Anyway, try it or mine and see if things are
better.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
832 Tanglewood Drive                                nipsy@bitgnome.net

---begin random quote of the moment---
"A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on
arriving."
 -- Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)
----end random quote of the moment----