Re: ASUS A8V Deluxe SATA problems

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 06:03:52AM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> The A8V Deluxe has two SATA controllers on board: One VIA controller,
> and one Promise controller. Both are "RAID" controllers, both are being
> used in JBOD mode.
>
> I have two Seagate ST3200826AS SATA drives. If I attach them to the
> Promise controller, all is fine.
>
> If I attach them to the VIA controller, using the same cables, etc., the
> one on the "primary" port always fails with "scsi parity error." I can
> swap the drives around (moving sdb to sda and vice versa) by changing
> where the cable plugs into on the motherboard, and its always sda that
> fails.
>
> Any suggestions what this might be, other than a defective board?

Well I run the same board here but with 2 WD 250G SATA drives on the VIA
ports (and a 120G on a promise port).  Never had a problem yet.

Now some seagates have been known to have slightly broken sata firmware
which is known to cause serious problems with sil3112 controllers, but I
haven't heard of them having problems with VIA.  Either way I am staying
away from seagate drives personally for the time being.

It really sounds like you have a broken port on the board.