Heat problem with amd64 laptop

Hi

I've been running sid amd64 (xfce4.2) since January and it's been
working very well.  However, from time to time I've suffered an abrupt
shutdown, it would seem, due to overheating.

1. Some months ago I tried ripping some mp3 tracks from a CD using grip
and it managed 5 tracks before just cutting out.  I decided to uninstall
grip and not use it.

2. About 2 months ago I downloaded the windowsXP 64 bit beta and when
trying to install it, again an abrupt shutdown.  I sent the laptop back
to Acer who replaced the DVD drive which was faulty and apparently
repasted the heatsink.

I've had it back a couple of weeks and my 4 debian type systems were
intact (incl. Kubuntu and Ubuntu) but I had to reinstall windowsXP (32
bit).  I then tried the XP 64 bit beta again which resulted in the
abrupt shutdown.  I abandoned that and threw the disk away; it was only
curiosity which prompted me to try.  I only use windows to support
clients - no big deal.

3. For reasons along the lines of 'if ain't broke why not try to fix it'
I was reconfiguring one of our servers via ssh and with multiple windows
open managed to delete the dchp3.conf file on the laptop in error.  No
drama, boot into the other debian system and copy it from there; all
fine except that I was checking my mail on the other system (IMAP) and
again an abrupt shutdown.  The system is sid (kde) as well.

I spoke to Acer support who referred me to the small print re: official
acer software blah di blah.  They have offered to take it back but
having been running both windows (with no shutdown to date)
and debian (occasional shutdowns often related to networking), I am
sceptical as to whether this will improve the situation long term.  The
problem now seems to be getting worse (more frequent).  I've just
tried the Ubuntu install and whilst exploring how it handles samba
networking it shutdown X with an error along the lines of temp exceeding
44 degrees .... shutting down.

There is no doubt that I use the debian system much harder than windows
(multiple desktops and greater functionality) but it's mainly text
files, email, browsing and ssh and samba across the network.

I note that all Acer 64bit notebooks now ship with the Turion processor
which is designed for laptops which would suggest that there is an
inherent flaw in putting the athlon chip in laptops.  I am prepared to
try to claim Acer have sold me a laptop which is 'not fit for purpose'
but they will claim that I'm not running their official software;
however, it is worth a letter at least.

My purpose in writing to the list is to explore:
1. whether anyone else has suffered similar problems?
2. is there a way, in software, to slow down the processor to make it
run cooler?

It's an Acer Aspire 1524 WLMi AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+

I've attached the output of lshw and:

$ uname -a
Linux Darius 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic #1 Fri Sep 23 11:57:13 CEST 2005
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks

Clive

--