Re: installer can't find disk

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:20:58AM -0700, michael@etalon.net wrote:
> Just got a new GA-I8945GMF board with 2 x SATA II drives.
> Using a Pentium 4 630 (EM64T)
> I have the full AMD64 CD disc 1 installer, and its having trouble seeing
> the drives.
> I have configured the sata drives to exist outside the IDE Primary and
> secondary controllers from the BIOS.

Probably means your sata / ide controller is newer than what 2.6.8
supports.

> I'm not sure what to try next.
> I was thinking I could get an old IDE drive, slap it in there, and install
> the system on that, and then try to get the SATA drives working.
> However, I would eventually like to the have the system boot off the
> SATA drives.
> or,
> I could try getting the AMD64 sid installer. (or maybe an etch one if
> it exists?)
> But I couldn't find a place to download the ISO Image for AMD64 sid.
> Is there a link for it?

You could try my 2.6.12 amd64 sarge install cd if you want.  Might
support your chipset.  Not sure if yours is the ahci one or not.  If it
is you probably have to manually do 'modprobe ahci' on console 2 during
the install to load the driver.

http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/

> FWIW, I also tried installing i386 Sarge install (2.6 kernel) and same
> thing.
> Not suprised as the AMD64 sarge and i386 sarge probably use the 2.6.8
> kernel?

Sounds right to me.