Re: mp3 encoding - lame?

From: Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml@fatooh.org>
Date: Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 11:45:44AM -0700
> jurriaan wrote:
> >
> > This is with my own gcc-4.0 compiled lame. Sometimes it hangs, most of
> > the time it crashes on this file. AFAIK the .wav file is OK, it plays
> > and is a decompressed .flac file. It's 5.8 MiB, btw.
>
> Are you saying that your lame behaves differently if you run it multiple
> times on the same file? If that is the case you almost certainly have
> faulty or overheating hardware.
>
> - If you're overclocking, don't do so as much.

I did run memtest86 after overclocking, no problems during a 24 hrs
period. The I compiled 250 kernels, which were all identical. Still,
lame is obviously very sensitive.
The moral of the story: overclocking a 3700 San Diego to 2750 MHz works
most of the time, but not with lame. For now, 2640 works a lot better.

> - Check to make sure your system is being cooled adequately.

the cpu is never above 45 degrees C.
> - Run memtest86 and see if it likes your RAM.

24 hrs - no problems.

This must sound lame, but I really thought I had it stable, with memtest
and compiling kernels.

Thanks,
Jurriaan
--
Corporal... get me the cassette of Spaceballs: The Movie.
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.13-rc4-mm1 5286 bogomips load 0.44