mp3 encoding - lame?

I want to encode some .wav files to mp3's. There's no lame in standard
debian amd64, so I downloaded a package from

deb http://cyberspace.ucla.edu/marillat/ unstable main

This seems to hang on some files, gdb shows a backtrace starting with
count_bits(). Then I downloaded the original source (lame-3.96.1) and
compiled that (./configure, make, make install). This even manages to
crash with a segmentation fault on some files.

What do you people use to create mp3s ?

Thanks,
Jurriaan
--
Eat shit -- billions of flies can't be wrong.
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.13-rc4-mm1 5505 bogomips load 0.17