Grub/LILO install fails on DL385

HP Proliant DL385 with HP Smart Array 6i controller.
Two Dual-core Opterons with 6 GB of RAM.
Trying to install the netinstall of the amd64 port.
However, both grub and LILO fail to install citing errors with installation errors.

I receive the following if I try to proceed, skipping the boot loader install.

"You will need to boot normally with the /boot/vmlinuz kernal on partition /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 and root = /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 passed as a kernal argument"

I have tried to install a /boot partition as well as a sing root partition.

Any suggestions?

Ryan