Re: sane works, xsane not

Dan Cherry <dscherry@bellsouth.net> writes:

> The bus:device numbers can change each time you reboot or power off your
> scanner, so if you don't use a script to reset the permissions, you have to
> find the usb numbers each time you start up the scanner.

There is a description of how to setup hotplug so that it sets the
right permission for the scanner when the device is created at
<http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html>.

> (btw, I don't have to restart X to use the scanner after resetting the
> permissions - I don't know why???)

When adding yourself to another group you have to relogin for that to
have an efect.  I don't think you have to restart X though.

Matthias