Re: powernow-k8 woes -- need help diagnosing intermittent failure

Pascal Giard wrote:
> Hi John,
>   so, after ~13 hours of building python2.4 every 30mins caused 882 transitions.
>
> My cpu is currently idling at 1001MHz 1.1V and there's no sign of
> error. I'm sorry but i'm unable to reproduce your problem. :(
>
> Let me remind you that i've an Athlon 64 2800+ (130nm) running on an
> Asus K8V-X (VIA K8T800). I'm running an up to date Debian unstable
> with the official 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8.
>
> Let me know if there's something else i can do.

It sounds like your system is running well.  I'm not much closer to
narrowing this down.  My problem could still be any of the following:

    * software bug (e.g. in powernow-k8 driver) - from my experience
this is still the most likely.  I'm dreading it, but maybe I'll have to
install Windows and see if I can reproduce the problem there.

    * faulty hardware - I've ruled out the motherboard, but maybe the
CPU or some other component is bad

    * hardware design bug - there could still be some relevant design
difference between the K8T800 chipset your tested and my K8M800

Thanks for your help Pascal.

--John