eth0: no link during initialization failure with Nvidia ethernet ports

Hi,

I used Len Sorenson's install image -- sarge-amd64-2.6.12-netinst.iso on a
Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE board.  This board has 2 onboard 802.3 Nvidia
ethernet ports.  I used the forcedeth module (version 0.32).  The eth0 port
registered the following error in dmesg:

eth0:  no link during initialization

As a result of this failure, I couldn't complete the rest of the installation.
Everything up to the point of requiring 'net access worked fine with Len's
install image.

I will probably look to getting some kind of pci ethernet card to put in this
box, that is unless some individual can point me to a solution to getting
eth0 up and running with the forcedeth module.

Any ideas about getting the onboard ethernet ports working or am I going to
have to go the route of getting some pci card.  And if so, suggestions on
good, well supported cards would be appreciated.

Thanks Len for this install image.

John Schmidt