Re: RAID controllers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:37:25AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:23:05PM +0200, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> > Anybody here has an experience with Sil3114 or Areca RAID SATA
> > controllers?
> >
> > I'm wondering which one is best on AMD64, or if I stick with a 3Ware
> > Escalade 8600 instead.
> >
> > I'm planning to use Debian Sarge, of course.
>
> I haven't used any of them, but from what I have read, the 3ware drivers
> are very mature and have been around for a while.  The Areca drivers I
> suspect you have to compile and install yourself (making installing
> somewhat more difficult on one).

The -mm kernels come with Areca drivers. they are at at least included
in 2.6.13-rc3-mm1. Andrew Morton keeps a set of broken out patches, so
you can also patch other kernels:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.13-rc3/2.6.13-rc3-mm1/broken-out/

I think you need areca-raid-linux-scsi-driver.patch and
areca-raid-linux-scsi-driver-fix.patch (in that order).

> The few benchmarks I have seen indicate the 3ware is easily the
> fastest of them.

The benchmarks in the respected german computer magazine c't suggests
the Areca cards are faster.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --