Re: Checkpoint Firewall Client on AMD64

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:14:50PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> I can't help with your question re: Checkpoint but I'm in the same
> postion of having to reboot into XP for VPN remote access.
>
> I came up with the following possibilities and have had a cursory look
> at vpnc:
> clive@Darius:~$ apt-cache search vpn | grep client
> vpnc - Cisco-compatible VPN client
> webmin-pptp-client - PPTP client configuration module for webmin
>
> I don't particularly want to install webmin just for this functionality.
>
> So I too would welcome feedback from someone whose using a VPN client.

Well you would not want pptp for anything, so the webmin module isn't
interesting.  PPTP is really that bad.  NT4 was really about the only
thing to ever try to promote it until the flaws in the encryption system
were shown to make it very insecure.

For IPsec you can use the openswan code along with the kernel modules
for IPsec, or you could use something like the cisco compatible one
(which is also IPsec based I believe).