Re: Successful install, but no boot

Oops, used reply instead of list-reply. My bad. Here it is again, but
this time to the list:

> You probably just need to re-run LILO.  Us old-timers who are used to
> compiling kernels, we've all made that mistake often enough that it's
> no big
> deal, and we know the drill.

The Sarge netinstall used grub, so no lilo on this system. That said, I
too have the feeling the problem is in the MBR, but I am not really sure
how to generate a new one. I've only had 32-bit systems before and am
not really sure whether I can use a rescue disk from my old system to
generate a new MBR on this system.

> Boot with a CD, and type "linux root=/dev/hda1" at the prompt.

I understand that would generate a new MBR in the first partition.
During installation I opted to write the MBR to the disk in /dev/hda.
Sadly neither grub nor lilo are to be found on the Live CD I am using
here (as root "whereis lilo" or "whereis grub" gave me nothing).

> This will use the CD's bootstrap loader, but the / directory will be
> whatever you specified.  You can type "mount" anyway just to make
> sure.  Now check your lilo.conf and, once you're sure it is correct,
> run "/sbin/lilo" to recreate the master boot record.

> If it doesn't like hda1, then try sda1 -- both at the boot prompt and
> in lilo.conf.

It seems I'll have to create a rescue disk with grub on it first. That
in itself isn't a problem, but I am wondering if I can do that on my
other working but non 64-bit system. Ah, what the heck I'll just try.
Coasters are cheap... }:-)

Thanks for trying to help.

Grx HdV