Re: Success with Acrobat Reader 7.0 (tweaking module pathes)

I am glad that you are verifying my approach. I was afraid that I
forgot a step that I did, and that seems to be true. Anyway, once it
*really* works, I may put it into the FAQ.

On 5/22/05, Jörg Ebeling <joerg.ebeling@shbe.net> wrote:
> With your cool description I get the reader now loaded/started, but get
> a small "Adobe Reader" MessageBox with a warning:
>    "There was an error while loading the plug-in 'PPKLite.api'. The
> plug-in failed to initialize."

Yep, I get that, too. I don't even know what that module is for, so I
am not worried :-) Deleting the module should "fix" the warning.

> "(acroread:7941): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader:
> Bildlader-Modul konnte nicht geladen werden:
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so:
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: cannot open
> shared object file: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden"

Ok, so pixbuf is a real problem. The issue is that it is using the
config file in /etc/gtk-2.0/???, which points to the mentioned
libpixbufloader-xpm.so. Since this is an amd64 shared library, it
cannot be loaded into the ia32 binary. Which gives me an idea: if you
add the ia32 libpixbufloader (probably in /usr/lib32) *in addition* to
this one, it should work for both kinds of binaries.

I may have a look at this later. (and maybe that trick also works for pango?)

> Beside that, is there a chance to get the pdf mozilla plugin working or
> is that impossible at all (as long as there's no real AMD64 port) ?

If the plugin spawns a separate process, probably yes. But my
experience with plugins is extremely mixed. As a plugin I prefer kpdf
3.4 in konqueror anyway.

Thomas