Re: Asus A8V Deluxe, Xfree display problems with BIOS 1011

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) <jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr> schrieb:

> I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
> I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.
>
> After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in =20
> cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black =20
> screen with only the cursor image in white.
>
> The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot =20
> even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with <Alt><Ctrl><Fn> =20
> and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with <Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.

Good to know I'm not the only one having problems with the 1011 BIOS.
I'm using the proprietary NVIDIA driver on 32-bit Ubuntu Hoary and I've
experienced the same problems (well, almost the same, no cursor image here :-)
I fixed it first by using kernel 2.6.11, but I got a lot of crashes
after that. I've reverted to 2.6.10 now and it seems to work.

> If I boot the machine using Ubuntu live CD, it works.
> If then I reboot (not power off the box) the system, then my normal =20
> Debian system works.

> I've reverted to BIOS revison 1009 and this fix the problem.

I would be glad if they told us what they have "fixed" in the upgrade
apart from the two meagre lines in the changelog.

> I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no =20
> UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".
>
> Do you havea any idea of what can be the cause of this problem ?

Unfortunately not - apart from ASUS's attitude :-(

Regards,

Daniel

P.S. I hope this message gets through, I'm trying the gmane.org gateway.