Re: fujitsu-siemens primergy rx300 s2

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:55:32 +0100, "dr.bob" <dr.bobik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to set up one such machine as a Debian-based server. What would
> you recomend - going 64 bit with debian-amd64, or sticking to ia32?
> This is a rack server, nobody's going to use it as a desktop so I
> don't care about compat with openoffice etc., it will be doing dhcp,
> nfs, remote boot , .. for a farm of diskless workstations - so I'm
> mostly concerned about solid network operation and good support for
> the onboard RAID controller.

Well, thanks for the advice. I had success with installing the base system
from the current netinstall image, but no luck so far with the onboard
BCM5700 NICs. Weirdly enough, the tg3 module loads successfully and
ifconfig reports eth0 as up and working, but I get no connectivity. AFAICS
the bcm5700 module is currently available only as source, and it's a chore
to get enough packages on the machine to build it - with no working net :(

FWIW www.broadcom.com now says their bcm5700 linux driver source is
GPL.. why not include the module on the netinstall image?