Re: libc6 install problem

Clive writes:

After rebooting halfway through the install, aptitude started and went
through the intital download of packages but seemed to barf on libc6.

dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2-ds1-20-amd64.deb
trying to overwrite /usr/lib64

+++++++++++++++++++

What is the installer type and date used here?
What is the sources.list used?

This seems like an old problem that has already been fixed.
Does the error say "which is also in package base-files"?

I had to fix this on previous installs except not recently.

1. Check if there are links installed or make them by hand:
	/lib -> /lib64
	/usr/lib -> /usr/lib64

2. Try to force install the libc6 overriding the problem.

3. Be sure the sarge installer uses debian-pure64 and
           the sid installer uses pure64 archives.

4. Mount the partition from a good install and update the
    files by hand. (this is a little more difficult)

5. Wait for somebody who knows the answer.

Also, I think your MBR is corrupted with your lilo and grub.
With DOS use "fdisk /mbr" if you can get at the disk. Then
grub should install if that was the problem. There are ways
to fix the mbr using various additional techniques I don't
remember.

editor@postscript.port5.com

--
AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256 Creative SB Live WD Raptor SATA Maxtor PATA IBM/Okidata Color PostScript3 Lexmark Mono PostScript2 Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid Kernel 2.6.11 XFree86 4.3.0.1 Xorg X11R6.8.2 1.5 Mb DSL