Re: RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20376 (FastTrak376)(rev02)

editor@postscript.port5.com wrote:

I have the onboard Promise and VIA chips with raid features. I also use
those now as individual disks with the raid turned off. Unless I missed
something, I think there is no raid support for these chips under Linux.

Lots of fun stuff happening with Linux raid -- cf. http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html Both Fasttrack and Via are now supported -- cf. the Linux software raid dmraid driver
at http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid, which lists these:

Highpoint HPT37X
Highpoint HPT45X
Intel Software RAID
LSI Logic MegaRAID
NVidia NForce
Promise FastTrack
Silicon Image Medley
VIA Software RAID

Jeff Garzik has just added PATA support to the libata driver -- looks like IDE will become obsolete altogether. Some of the Promise cards also have libata support, not yet in the kernel, but likely to be merged by 2.6.12 and already included
in some vendor kernels (gentoo and ubuntu).

Dave