sarge Installation Report

> Hello Everybody-

This is a fresh installation of sarge using the sarge-amd64-netinst.iso of 20 Feb 05.
My hardware is AMD64 with ASUS A8V Deluxe Pro and VIA sata+ide controllers.
Here is my sources.list used for this installation:

#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-pure64 testing main contrib non-free

The installation was fast and effective for my hardware. I made an ext3 filesystem and
continued without grub and without any bootloader. Most people would use grub.

The installation proceeded easily through ejecting the CDROM and reboot.

I rebooted using my custom 2.6.10 kernel using loadlin instead of the dist kernel.

The installation was completed without difficulty. I skipped the selections because of my
familiarity with dselect instead of aptitude and did not choose any specialty. I started
dselect and chose the 2.6.8-kernel-source with the ncurses5-dev,kernel-package and bzip2
packages to build my kernel. I used make menuconfig and mounted my sid partition to copy
my current config for the new unified kernel without having any modules. The new kernel
has already finished compiling and packaged into a deb a little while ago.

I now have a legal sarge installation!

I didn't test everything. Everything I used worked. :-)

editor@postscript.port5.com