Re: Help with installation

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 07:31:03PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> monty_debian@bc.cx writes:
>
> > I've been following the debian-amd64-howto and have elected to install the
> > distro via the chroot method as I have a brand new machine with a blank
> > hdd plus I need to boot with a custom 64-bit kernel because I need the
> > kernel to have the Speakup screen reader compiled in.  (I'm blind)
>
> Hi, I think you are the first blind person on debian-amd64.
>
> For the i386 Debian-Installer there is an "access floppy" image for
> blind people. I'm not sure what that entails (does it have speakup?)
> but it would be good if you could test it and report back.

access and speakup are 2 different things.  There are floppies
for both, and it's currently only available on floppy on i386.

> Building something based on that for amd64 shouldn't be too hard if
> you are willing and able.

Note that we currently do not have floppies at all because of
size issues.  However, I think it should be possible to have
it available in other images.

Do we actually have a driver for that in the kernel, or do we
need some special patch?  It seems that i386 only has it with a
2.4 kernel too.

Kurt