Re: Building a RAID system

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:47:17PM +0100, seb@frankengul.org wrote:
> Hum, I think that the 2- does not exists. The software option in bios is
> to configure the hardware RAID controler.

It isn't a hardware raid controller though.  Promise, and Sil3114 and
HPT and such put on a desktop motherboard are NOT hardware raid.  They
are plain simply ide chips that happen to have a bios that can do raid 0
and 1 while providing the standard bios drive calls to emulate a single
disk where in fact multiple disks are used.  Once the OS loads the
custom drivers they talk to the bios, get the raid setup layout, and
take over the job of running the drives in a raid layout, entirely in
software.  There is not raid hardware involved, just an ide controller
chip with a custom bios program to get the system booted from the
software raid.

Lennart Sorensen