RE: An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 08:41, Alex Perry wrote:
> On Wed 30 Jun Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> > 	What would you suggest to buy as a complete AMD64 machine?
>
> In terms of laptops, I'm using the e-machines M6805, which was about the
> only one available back when I got it.  There are bugs in its ACPI that
> require patches for older kernels, but the 2.6.7 includes them which saves a
> lot of hassle.  It runs cleanly and I'm happy with it.

I just got the ferrari 3200 (by acer) .. similar specs, lower-power
chip. (the new "Mobile Athlon64 2800+" which is reportedly much
lower-power than the old "Low-Power Athlon24 2800+" but only comes in
2600/2800 flavors.)

Haven't tried the modem or firewire, everything else is as reported
elsewhere.  4 usb 2 ports all work, dvd+-rw/ram works (haven't burned a
dvd under linux yet, just cds), 1400x1050 display (2d only), via
chipset/ati mobility radeon 9700 cooperate well, the gig-e port works
(haven't tried it at gig speeds), the wireless is broadcom 802.11g so
its out (but I've got an old truemobile 1150 lying around that I'm going
to try in it later.) Suspend oopses (I'll post that info later when I
can capture the oops)..

Seems like most amd64 laptops are almost the same device with a
different shell. And this one is -really- pretty ;)

--
Disconnect <x86-64@gotontheinter.net>