Re: Any working alternative to TightVNC?

I've run into the same problem and found two alternatives:

Run the x86 vnc in a chroot. This depends on what you need to vnc into
the box for since amd64 apps aren't available inside the chroot, of
course.

Update to gnome 2.8 and enable remote desktop. It's just a vnc server
tied to :0, but it runs on the amd64 "part".