Re: Promise or VIA?

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:37:53AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well based on my past experience, getting drivers to work in linux for a
> new promise chip is a pain, while most other chips are not, so probably
> the via will be much simpler to get working at least initially.
>
> Len Sorensen

The Asus A8V I bought has both a VIA and a Promise SATA controller,
and both work fine with Linux.  The Promise is better supported under
Linux (or possibly just a better controller; it does TCQ under Linux,
where the VIA doesn't (yet?)) as far as I could tell from the SATA
compatibility page.

Unfortunately the machine dual-boots to Windows XP, which I was unable
to get to work with the Promise controller, so I had to use VIA
anyway.  But Linux (and the pure64 port in particular) had no problem
with the Promise controller.

--Pete