Re: amd64 testing repository

Jean-Michel POURE <jm@poure.com> writes:

> Dear Friends,
>
> First of all, thanks for this great job working on a pure 64 Debian port.
>
> Just a few remarks and questions:
>
> 1) Using the new debian installer at first, it did not seem clear to me that I
> had to choose an "expert" installation. Normal installation is done by
> default using the testing repository, thus fails.

This was recently changed in D-I since to many users got confused by
sarge being called stable already or something.

> After a few tests, I understood that I had to type "expert" on the first
> installer prompt. Could you add this information to:
> https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id204230
>
> 2) After installation, I tried to install KDE and XFree86. It seems that most
> packages are gone in the testing repository. A desktop environment would help
> using the pure64 port.
>
> When do you think a pure64 testing repository will be available? it could ease
> both installation and desktop usage.

goswin-guest@haydn:~/archive/sarge$ wb-status
      Known packages:    8351 (   8369)
  Installed packages:    7870
Needs-build packages:     228

Most packages should be there. The problem with KDE was that the sarge
version is broken. I fetched the testing-proposed-updates version and
build that to get things moving.

> 3) Alternatively, is there a way to configure /etc/apt/apt.conf to compile
> source packages from testing repository for the pure64 port?

You just point it to the sarge repository instead of pure64 or you use
pining.

> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel

MfG