Re: Do I need 64Bit if RAM is more than 4 GB?

* Mattias Wadenstein (maswan@acc.umu.se) wrote:
> >Even in 1995 4GB would have been a rather expensive amount of ram even
> >for a high end sparc or power machine.
>
> Well, instead of searching for prices, go find an old manual of the
> largest sun sparc32 smp? The one I can think of right now is the ss1000,
> were there any bigger ones? Before the ultrasparc days that is.

SparcCenter 2000, we had one here actually.  10 system boards, up to 2
procs each (as I recall we had 16 processors in ours), 0, 8 or 16 SIMMs
per board which were 8M or 32M.  I believe we had the 8 system boards
that had CPUs full with 32M SIMMs for a total of 4G.  I'm pretty sure
the system was capable of going to 32 CPUs w/ the dual-CPU modules.  I'm
not sure if you could get more than 4G of memory in to it though.

	Stephen