Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 05:59:16PM -0500, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Chris Cheney wrote:
>
> > binary only apps left unported, so all this time spent making multi-arch
> > work for AMD64 will have been time wasted.
>
> people keep saying this, and it's starting to annoy me.  There is more to
> 'multi-arch' than AMD64!!  In fact, just about every architecture Debian
> supports would like multiarch support:

That is why I SPECIFICALLY STATED FOR AMD64! All the other archs listed
run faster in their 32bit mode. AMD64 runs faster in 64bit mode so not
having a native port for it until mid 2007 is going to cause Debian to
lose people, developers and users. Keeping AMD64 users hostage for the
good of multi-arch on the other platforms is not good form. Also note
this list is debian-amd64 not some hypothetical debian-multiarch list. I
am getting close to leaving Debian myself, since it appears there are
too many people wishing for AMD64 support not to happen in the
foreseeable future.

> Please, this flame war has gone on long enough.  We know that some people
> would like their AMD64 *now*.  We know other people would like to get

The archs that need multi-arch support have been around a long time,
even AMD64's have been available for sale since March 2003 and the
emulator for years before that. So why does it seem that there was no or
little interest in multi-arch by the other platforms until AMD64 came
along? Having a native AMD64 port in Debian does not preclude having
multi-arch support for the various platforms. However, it does seem to me
that the people wanting multi-arch are trying to force developers
wanting AMD64 support in Debian to make multi-arch work for them. Yes,
multi-arch on AMD64 would be nice, but it is of little real value except
for a few binary only apps that will probably already be available in
64bit version by the time multi-arch is generally available for Debian.

Chris Cheney