Re: INIT problems continue

Eric Sharkey <sharkey@netrics.com> writes:

> > Search the archives for /etc/apt/preferences file. You'll probably have
> > to recreate your chroot from scratch, but if you do this:
> >
> >   1) debootstrap using alioth
> >   2) add the /etc/apt/preferences file with the proper "pinnings"
> >   3) edit your /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > then the i386 packages shouldn't clobber the preferred amd64 ones.
>

> Ok, I've decided to start over from scratch.  Maybe if I didn't install
> a proper chroot the first time, then something may have gone wrong
> with the kernel compile, which may have given me the screwy results
> I'm seeing.

Maybe you could read the FAQ first.

Use woody i386 as base and install biarch tools to compile the
kernel. Once you have a 64bit kernel bootet you can do things right.

Use cdebootstrap, debootstrap is crap. Use sarge on alioth and not
sid. Don't mix in debians sarge/sid packages (and never libc6)
untill alioth has a newer libc6 that works for biarch.

> I've done this:
>
> mastermind:/# mkdir /x86-64
> mastermind:/# debootstrap sid /x86-64 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
> [debooststrap output]
>
> And then set up a sources.list with:
>
> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ sid main
>
> above the normal sid lines and this preferences file:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release l=Debian-amd64
> Pin-Priority: 1500
>
> But this leads to dependency problems, because libc6 2.3.2-7.biarch1
> will be installed, and many packages in the normal Debian apt
> repository depend on higher versions.
>
> Attempting to do the gcc install (copied straight from the HOWTO)
> yields:
>
> mastermind:/# apt-get install -u libc6 libc6-dev gcc-3.3 libncurses5-dev wget bzip2
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> wget is already the newest version.
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   wget: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4) but 2.3.2-7.biarch1 is to be installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> because there is no i386 package for wget on alioth.
>
> Skipping wget isn't a solution, because other essential packages are
> in the same position:
>
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   apt base-files base-passwd (due to base-files) bash debianutils grep gzip
>   hostname initscripts util-linux (due to initscripts) ncurses-bin sysvinit
>   zlib1g (due to util-linux)
>
> I really don't want to know what a Debian system would be like if I
> removed bash.
>
> Is there some way out of this?

rm -rf /; restart from scratch

> Eric