Re: qLogic and wheezy

On 15/06/2012, at 8:57 AM, Bill MacAllister wrote:
--On Thursday, June 14, 2012 03:28:18 PM -0400 Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca > wrote:

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 02:50:45PM -0700, Bill MacAllister wrote:
I would like to try creating a Debian Alpha install disk.  For that
effort I tried to spin up a wheezy Alpha yesterday and hit a problem. The PWS has qLogic cards in it and that is where all of the disks are
attached.  It looks like the kernel module support is not there for
the qLogic cards, still.  How do we work around that?

Though maybe I am doing it wrong.  Here are the steps I followed.

1. Install lenny on the system
2. Modify sources.list to contain the following lines

  deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/ unstable main
  deb-src http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/ unstable main

3. dist-upgrade several times

That's a huge jump of versions all at once.  I would have thought the
new fields in the packages would piss off the old dpkg version in lenny
if nothing else.

It can be done. One installs Lenny, then upgrade to a 2.6.32 kernel from lenny-backports, ah, no, that kernel needs lashings of patches before it will work properly (Bill has such a kernel on his build daemons). Then first upgrade to a Squeeze equivalent from snapshot.debian.org (I think about early Feb 2011 should do it) --- oh, upgrade udev first and reboot into the new kernel, then upgrade the rest. Then upgrade to debian-ports unstable/unreleased.

I've done that about 6 months ago. Rather tedious and you will hit problems along the way that will need some ingenuity to fix.

Yes, but there is no alternative that I know of.

And, yes, there is an alternative:

Use debootstrap from a working computer to install straight to unstable.

I meant to write up instructions on how to do that at the alphalinux wiki. Instructions for i386 install by this method are at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en which might be enough to get you started but there are Alpha specific problems in the process which I have already solved, so I will try to get Alpha instructions written up at alphalinux wiki this weekend.

BTW, I did respond to Bill about the firmware/kernel module support problem but forgot to reply-all so it didn't come to the mailing list. Basically one needs the firmware packages from the non-free distribution which come from the non-free Debian distribution rather than from Debian-ports.

Cheers
Michael.