X.org and the Matrox Millenium II
Today with a day of mixed blessings. I was over-joyed to see X.org
finally make into the Alpha/Sid. However, no amount of convolutions by
myself was sufficient to cause it to work on my "Matrox Graphics, Inc.
MGA 2164W [Millennium II]".
Sadly, the settings with which the card worked under 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14
seemed no longer acceptable to the X.org mga_drv. *sigh*
After googling (as much as I was up to tonight), I added 'Load "xaa"' to
get rid of the XAA* unresolved symbols. I tried not loading any modules.
Nothing I did seemed to affect the xf86I2C* unresolved symbols, nor the
type 28 Elf_Relocation error (google was strangely silent about this
error). I was able to lock up the display, so it wouldn't change,
regardless of input (although I was still able to switch to tty1, with a
blank screen, and reboot).
After wracking my brain as much as I dared, since I do have work
tomorrow, I reverted all the 6.8.2 packages to the stable versions
(figuring that tracking a soon to be obsolete testing would be ask for
trouble). No more X tonight. If anyone has gotten this configuration
working, let me know. I would like to move to X.org, but as far as this
card goes, this seems to be a major regression. C'est la vie.
If anyone is interested, I'm running a Microway Alpha 533, 256MB RAM,
2GB HDD, running (primarily) Debian/Alpha Sid. 2.6.8-2-generic. Umm,
nothing else comes to mind. Willing to be of assistance (when I have
time, evenings, EST, likely). If I can't get it working in a couple of
days, and no new version comes out, I'll file an official bug report
(I'm sure the X.org team is swamped with them already).