Re: kernel-image packages for alpha in need of testing

Hello,
On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:29:01PM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> When I tried to boot
> RAMDISK: image too big!
> Freeing initrd memory 14728k freed
> VFS: Cannot open root drive hda1
>
> at that point it panics because it cannot mount the drive.
>
> Any idea why that initrd is 5 times as big as my other initrd?

I ran into this when debugging #241185 (which seems closly related to
this problem as well), Herbert wrote to me:

   Can you please find out why it is so big and if appropriate file a new bug
   report against initrd-tools?

   Now in the mean time please boot with ramdisk_size=16384 so we can
   continue with the testing.

And no, I did not yet find out why it is so big.

Greetings

       Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de